“Healthier by Dole” is a series of nutritious, plant-based recipes and menu alternatives to iconic dishes enjoyed during life’s big and small moments. Led by Melanie Marcus, RD, MA, Dole’s nutrition and health communications manager, the recurring program offers easy-to-prepare recipes rich in fruits and vegetables, full of flavor and enjoyable for holidays and other dining occasions. Dole launched the initiative last month with a vegan tailgate worthy of a big game featuring healthier versions of the game’s favorite comfort foods like fries, wings, tater tots, and mac and cheese.
As towns across United States will be famous for coloring its rivers and buildings green for St. Patrick’s Day, Dole is encouraging Americans to embrace a greener menu, both literally and nutritionally, in honor of the Irish holiday and the designation of March as National Nutrition Month. The latest ‘Healthier by Dole’ menu includes 10 recipes for starters, side dishes, desserts and smoothies that offer healthier versions of Irish favorites as well as surprisingly tasty ways to go gluten-free, vegetarian or vegan .
“Our ‘Healthier by Dole’ recipe series aims to help Americans make better meal and snack choices on occasions when nutrition can be the most challenging. At Dole, we’re here to prove that any holiday celebration can be fun, delicious and healthy all at the same time,” Marcus said. “From gluten-free and vegetarian versions of classic shepherd’s pie to an avocado ‘Shamrock’ smoothie, we invite families to make New Year’s Eve. Patrick on this healthiest, tastiest and greenest year ever.”
Marcus offers tips for practicing “green living” in his dedicated book blog post on the Dole website, which includes a study which mentions how access to green environments can help curb unhealthy food cravings.
Dole’s St. Patrick’s Day and Go-Green Recipes for March:
- Individual Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie (Gluten free): Dole’s take on this beloved Irish main course includes DOLE® sweet potatoes and is also gluten free!
- Avocado Shamrock Smoothie (Vegetarian and Gluten Free): Looking for a healthier drink that matches the green St. Patrick’s Day theme? Try this delicious smoothie made with DOLE® Spring mixtropical gold® Pineapples and avocados.
- Leprechaun smoothie bowl (Vegetarian and Gluten Free): This Leprechaun-inspired bowl is the perfect way to get into the fun and wholesome holiday spirit!
- Shepherd’s pie with mushroom lovers (Vegan and Gluten Free): A gluten-free and vegan version of the classic Shepherd’s Pie loaded with DOLE® Mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, celery, cauliflower and more.
- Rainbow smoothie (Vegetarian and Gluten Free): Legend says that a pot of gold hides at the end of every rainbow! This smoothie is definitely worth a pot of gold because it’s loaded with fruits and veggies and is also vegetarian and gluten-free.
- Green salad with citrus fruits (Vegetarian): The sweetness of citrus fruits and the slight crunch of onion and nuts make for a pleasing palate.
- Fig & Vegetable Tart (Vegetarian): The flavor combinations are on fire in this savory vegetarian dish!
- Multi-Cooker Asparagus Risotto with Spinach and Broccoli Pesto (Vegetarian): Go green and try Dole’s asparagus risotto with a spinach and broccoli pesto meal that’s not only delicious but also vegetarian.
- Spring green shoots (Vegan and Gluten Free): This salad is loaded with green ingredients and made with DOLE® Baby spinach, arugula, asparagus, avocado, raspberries, edamame and topped with a sherry-lemon vinaigrette.
- Green slimesicles (Vegetarian): The perfect refreshing dessert to help celebrate and honor all things green for the Irish Green Holiday.
For advice on diet and green, check out Marcus’ “Green does a lot of goodand other healthy lifestyle articles on Dole’s blog at www.dole.com. For more original Dole recipes, nutritional information and other information, visit www.dole.com or follow Dole Facebook, instagram, Twitter and pinterest pages.
About Dole Food Company, Inc.
Dole Food Company, Inc., is one of the world’s largest producers and distributors of high quality fresh fruits and vegetables. Dole is an industry leader in many of the products it sells, as well as in nutritional education and research. For more information, please visit www.dole.com.
Bob Ochsner Where Gemma Stewart
Rocket launch for Dole
SOURCE Dole Food Company