How did you find this recipe? “A good friend shared this recipe with me and I loved the modern twist on a classic Thanksgiving dish. During the holidays my family has dishes they look forward to and this is one of them. J like to make slight changes to the menu to keep things interesting. The great thing about this recipe is that the prep time is so easy. It was an instant hit the first time I made it and it’s since then a staple of our Thanksgiving menu!”
What makes this dish perfect for the holidays? “I don’t know how green bean casserole became so identified with Thanksgiving. It’s just one of those dishes that is a tried and tested favorite. Another friend of mine loves the recipe so much that he makes it during the winter months. It’s a great comfort food! »
Are there any ingredients you can change? “I used fresh mushrooms, which when sautéed worked very well; it’s just that it’s easier to use canned mushrooms. I’ve seen a version of this recipe that calls for a layer of cheese, either cheddar or gruyere. Although it’s creamier, I think the addition of cheese, in my opinion, will make the dish a little too heavy to serve for a meal that’s already high in carbs, but I’d like to try this version some other time. Also, some people get better results grilling the dish instead of baking it like I do.
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 packet of frozen green beans
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 C. soya sauce
1½ cup store-bought crispy fried onions (French’s Original Crispy Fried Onions, 24 oz package)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil, sauté the garlic.
3. Add green beans and mushrooms.
4. Cook 10 to 15 minutes over high heat until excess water has evaporated. Stir often. Once cooked, pour into a baking dish.
5. In another bowl, mix the cream of mushroom soup with the soy sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and stir until all the vegetables are coated.
seven. Stir in 1 cup crispy fried onions.
8. Cover with the rest ½ cup of crispy fried onions.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.