If you ask my wife, no family gathering is complete without the pineapple cheese casserole. It’s his absolute favorite.
My mum has made sure this has been on the menu especially for her for as long as I can remember.
The unusual yet delicious conglomeration of sweet and tangy pineapple chunks, sharp cheddar cheese and buttery cracker crumbs satisfies that sweet and salty craving perfectly. And it’s the perfect addition to an Easter ham, Thanksgiving feast, or regular weeknight dinner, whatever else is on the table.
It may sound a bit crazy, but it’s really delicious. I promise.
While there are many variations of the recipe, this is our version, tweaked over the years to get it exactly how we like it (this happens after making something a few hundred times!) .
I bet you will like it too. You all appreciate.
Pineapple Cheese Casserole
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Rest time: 10 minutes
- 2 cans (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained, with juice reserved
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed (about 1 3/4 cups crushed; I use Ritz)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drain the pineapple well and reserve 6 tablespoons of juice for the recipe.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and 6 tablespoons of juice.
- Add the pineapple and mix well.
- Pour it into the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- In a medium bowl, add the melted butter to the crushed cracker crumbs and stir to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle cracker crumbs evenly over cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes then let the casserole rest and thicken for about 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe originally appeared on SouthernBite.com. For more great recipes visit the website or check out “The Southern Bite Cookbook”.