Keith Peffers, chef and food service director for Meals on Wheels of Northwest Indiana, recently designed a new spring/summer menu for the organization’s meal program.
Among the recipes featured on this season’s menu is Chicken Mojo, a grilled preparation flavored with orange and lime zest. The sauce is also citrus-based.
Peffer’s menus at Meals on Wheels focus on seasonal ingredients. He also prepares a variety of comfort foods and therapeutic recipes suitable for specialized diets.
Meals on Wheels The next Volunteer Meal Delivery Training/App will be at 2:00 p.m. Thursday, July 7 at the facility located at 8446 Virginia St. Merrillville. Contact Charlie Misovye, Volunteer Manager, at 219-756-3663 or email@example.com. for more information or to volunteer. Attendance is limited.
The organization is looking for volunteer meal delivery drivers for the Hammond, Highland, Griffith, Whiting, Hobart, Merrillville, Miller, Cedar Lake, Lakes of the Four Seasons and Portage routes. Other routes are also available.
People also read…
Other volunteer opportunities include Van Route drivers, cold bag packing and bag stamping.
To learn more about Meals on Wheels in Northwest Indiana, visit mownwi.com.
Here’s Peffer’s recipe for Chicken Mojo.
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
Zest of 1 lime and 1 orange
1 tablespoon vegetable or rapeseed oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Whisk all ingredients together (can be stored in the fridge for 1 week)
• 8 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2/3 cup fresh sour orange juice or 1/3 cup fresh orange juice and 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS: 1. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill. 2. In a baking dish, add vegetable oil.
3. Coat chicken breasts with oil, sprinkle with orange and lime zest.
4. Grill chicken, 5 minutes per side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
5. Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean dish or plate, pour the sauce over it, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro
To note: Chicken can also be baked at 350* for 20 minutes or 165 degrees.