KANSAS CITY, Mo. – KANSAS CITY, Mo. – With attendance at the 148th Kentucky Derby returning to full capacity for the first time in three years, Churchill Downs Acting Executive Chef Kenneth Hardiman and his team plan to cook for more than 45,000 people.
To bring the race day experience to those watching at home, Chef Kenneth joins us from his kitchen at Churchill Downs to show how home cooks can prepare dishes from the official menu of the 148th Kentucky Derby in their own kitchens.
Tarte Tatin with onions and Vidalia bourbon, goat cheese crumble
Yield: 6 servings
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 pounds. Vidalia onions, halved crosswise, 2-inch-thick slices
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ cup Woodford Reserve bourbon (your favorite bourbon)
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (Pepperidge Farms), thawed
As needed Cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
4 oz. Montchevre, crumbled goat cheese
Local honey as needed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Melt the unsalted butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet (cast iron or nonstick skillet) over
medium-low heat; swirl to coat the bottom. Spread the sugar evenly over the melted
- Place 12 to 14 onion halves in the butter mixture in the skillet, cut side down, with
sides touching. Cut remaining onion halves into wedges, place cut sides down and
place these cuts in the spaces between the onions in the skillet.
- Cover and cook the onions for 8-10 minutes, season the tops of the onions with kosher salt
and 1 tbsp. Water halfway through. Add bourbon and 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
and spread evenly over onion mixture; cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until
the onions are caramelized. Remove from fire.
- Roll out pastry sheet into 12-inch square on lightly floured surface; cut into a 12 inch
round. Place the round dough over the onions in the skillet.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately flip
on a serving plate. Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes. Cut into six pie slices and garnish the
top with crumbled goat cheese and remaining chopped thyme. Drizzle with local honey
garnish and serve.
Suggest a fix