KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Chef Brett DeHart brings a Pangea Experience on Monday, April 25 and brought a small sample of what you can expect in the FOX4 kitchen.
DeHart joined FOX4’s Abby Eden to review Andean Quinoa Fried Pollo, a dish from the five-course meal provided at the Pangea Experience hosted at Strang Hall in Overland Park.
“I can make all these fancy dishes, but one of my favorite foods is fried chicken tenders,” DeHart said.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 3-4 plantains, grated on a grater
- 1 cucumber, seeded and diced, for garnish
Aji amarillo aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp Aji Amarillo yellow chilli paste or powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
Andean quinoa pollo
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup grated cotija cheese or parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups quinoa, lightly toasted, cooked and drained, patted dry
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, mustard seeds, chili flakes to a boil until all the ingredients are incorporated, stirring occasionally, then let simmer 5 minutes. Cool marinade mixture completely.
- Add the plantains and let the mixture marinate overnight. Add the cucumber just before serving.
- Combine mayonnaise, lime juice, chili paste, parsley and salt in a blender until well blended.
Pollo of quinoa
- In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil of your choice over medium heat.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper and cheese in a bowl. Whisk eggs, yolks and buttermilk with a fork until well blended in a second egg wash bowl. Put the quinoa in a third bow. Flour the chicken cubes, dip them in the egg mixture and roll them in the quinoa.
- Gently fry the breaded chicken on all sides until cooked through and golden brown. Blot with paper towel, if necessary.
- Serve the chicken with the Aji Amarillo aioli and the plantains.
Suggest a fix