- 1 tablespoon avocado or sunflower oil
- 1 small or ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cup dry brown lentils (8.5 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (32 fluid ounces)
- 12 California prunes, finely diced (3.5 ounces)
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until onion is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder and cinnamon and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, tomatoes (with liquid) and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are just tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir in prunes and cook, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency, about 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Ladle into small bowls, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Recipe courtesy of californiaprunes.ca